The time has come. Lucy's surgery is tomorrow. Bright and early. She will walk in with one port in her stomach, and come out a week later with two.
We hope to gain better functioning of her g-port for draining and an easier time changing out buttons here at home. Its also possible we will be able to increase her feed rate once she heals.
This surgery is a big one. Its going to be hard on her little body. We worry about complications. Lucy is stronger than the last time she went into the OR, so we hope things will go as smoothly as planned. But with Lucy, you never know until you get her there.
I'm definitely worried. But if I had ever wondered if this surgery was necessary or not I got a pretty decent answer this week. We lost access to Lucy's g-port this week for a solid three days due to some sort of malfunction. Its only a few weeks old! She was so bloated and upset her throat and mouth were burning. She accidentally lost her stomach contents on the floor. To correct the problem it would mean heading into the hospital for sedation and re-placement, more exposure to radiation, and another day spent waiting around the hospital waiting room. After this surgery, I would only have to slide in a new button right here at home, in less than 5 minutes.
So, tomorrow we take the plunge and hope with all our hearts that this is the best possible option for Lu and that all of the best things come from it.
I will try to update as often as I can over the next few days!
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment